10 reasons why Madrid should be on your bucket list
Madrid, you stole my heart. Again. The city with the majestic buildings. The big squares. The picturesque streets where the laundry is drying on a line, meters above the walking people. The cute book stalls at the corner of the street. The delicious flavour of sangria and tapas. The museums with work of the biggest artists (even work from my hometown, Jheronimus Bosch). The big parks with fifty shades of green. Yes Madrid is beautiful fors ure. But the city also has a raw edge. With neighbourhoods full of street art and even a gay district (Chueca), where anything can appen and where nobody will judge. That diversity is exactly what attracts me. Madrid is definitely a city where I want to live some day. I’ve visited Madrid twice and there’s still a lot to see and explore. But I will give you 10 reasons why you should put Madrid on your bucket list!
10 reasons why Madrid should be on your bucket list!
1. All those magnificent buildings in the heart of the city. My favorite is the Royal Palace. Unfortunately you’re not allowed to take pictures inside (except in the entrance hall), but believe me: it’s so impressive! I’ve seen several palaces in Europe, and this one is maybe the most beautiful one I’ve seen! Every room has different colors and decorations, but they are all impressive.
2. There are a lot of churches in Madrid, but the most special one is – in my opinion – the cathedral, the Santa Maria la Real de la Almudena. Because how many churches do have ceilings in pop-art style? I think it’s really cool!
3. There’s always something going on on the streets and the squares: from talented musicians to living statues. On squares like Puerta del Sol and Plaza del Mayor you won’t get bored at all.
4. The flamenco… Such a powerful dance. Especially in the small theaters this is a special experience. Gorgeous dancers in long dresses, moving on the sounds of the guitar. The drops of sweat on the floor. The intensity in the eyes of the dancing women. The clicking of heels on the stage. When I think about the performance I get shivers again.
5. The best churros with chocolate sauce in the world you will find in Madrid! San Ginés is not only the oldest chocolateria, but also the best place to taste this typical Spanish snack. And a lot of people agree with me. The place is open 24/7 and even celebraties like Tina Turner and Jimmy Carter visited San Ginés to taste this delicious snack!
6. Madrid is the perfect place to get fat. Just kidding, but honestly: Spanish people really love to eat and there’s a cute restaurant on every street corner. Especially in the areas of La Latina and Lavapiés you will find tons of restaurants. From Spanish tapas to Indian tandoori. From the Mexican to the Senegalese cuisine. And most restaurants are open until late!
7. Even if you’re not a football lover (like me) you will still be impressed by the stadium of Real Madrid: Estadio Santiago Bernabéu. The view over the field is impressive! Walk through the tunnel, visit the press room and sit on the same seats where legends like David Beckham and Christiano Ronaldo once sat.
8. If you like flea markets you should definitely visit Madrid on a Sunday. Both tourists and locals are going to one of the biggest outdoor markets of Europe: El Rastro in the area of La Latina. Although you will also find some touristy stuff maybe you will find some hidden gems as well! The atmosphere is really nice and in the neighbourhood there are a lot of tapas bars and restaurants to have a nice and affordable lunch.
9. I love steet art. And in Madrid you will find some beautiful art!
10. The weather is most of the year really nice. However, I would recommend to visit Madrid in the spring or in the fall. In the summer it can be really really hot.
Have you ever been to Madrid and also fallen in love with the city, like me? Or do you not like the Spanish capital at all? Please share your thoughts with me and other readers in the comments!